SilverPen

SilverPen

Your Call Is (Not That) Important to Us: Customer Service and What It Reveals about Our World and Our Lives

Your Call Is (Not That) Important to Us: Customer Service and What It Reveals About Our World and Our Lives - Emily Yellin This book is very interesting. It sheds light on a topic that I have been thinking about for a long time. Obviously I'm not the only person. It was really lovely to read about the history of call centers, and the progression of history that has led us to how we think about and interact with customer service representatives.

What I enjoyed was that it really is impartial. The author actually just reported the facts of what people are saying about this subject without waxing poetical about how great this is or how evil that is. It was very refreshing. Also there is major information, and citation which I found very cool. I'm surprised by how few authors actually do that anymore.

Sometimes she repeats herself but that's not too surprising considering that a lot of the book is quotations about how other people feel about this subject.

The thing that bugged me reading it was the realization that Americans, have all been relegated to customers rather than people. This is never actually stated during the book but when company reps talk about being kind and doing right, they only do so in relation to the power that a person has as a customer to hurt their companies bottom line. There is no discussion about doing right or ethics by companies only a focus on how to get what the company wants out of the customer while still making the customer happy. Even as they move towards doing right they do so while still thinking in the the very patterns that make customers feel angry and alienated in the first place.

A good book if you are interested in knowing whats going on behind company doors.