SilverPen

SilverPen

Food Allergies and Food Intolerance: The Complete Guide to Their Identification and Treatment - Jonathan Brostoff, Linda Gamlin I had a hard time deciding if I should say 3 or 4 stars on this. Its not something I read for fun. So 'like' is not really a word I want to apply to it. It's a very comprehensive and easy to read book about a very difficult subject. Also its one of the first books I've read that actually deals with food intolerance in more than an aside (oh yes food intolerance, some people say they have that)

There are a few things that kind of bug me, the authors say that food intolerance's generally need more than a small amount of whatever food to set them off. This is not true for me and so I have a somewhat annoyed reaction every time they say it even though I know that they have statistics to back them up and I'm an individual case. The other thing is that often whenever the refer to the symptoms they use words like 'inconvenience' and 'unpleasant but rarely fatal'. After reading that second description I spent several minutes telling myself "they obviously don't dismiss the suffering of people, they wrote a whole book about it for goodness sake" but it still took me several minutes to be able to read again.

Despite those very minor issues I found the book really helpful and informative. I recommend it to anyone who suffers from food intolerance or knows someone who dose. It will give you a much better understanding of it.