SilverPen

SilverPen

Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling

Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling - Dolores G. Hiskes Initially I thought this book looked good. I liked the explanations about words and sounds. In fact I learned quite a lot from reading the later pages. But after starting at the beginning and going through the teaching method I decided that it might be useful to someone trying to teach a child as an adjunct but not as a whole program. The beginning worksheet exercises are fine but the pages are very busy with cartoons and cutesy phrases on the sides that a child who is learning to read would need someone to read to them, and have nothing to do with the worksheets. The book also focuses on games. No amount of games and 'fun' are going to inspire a child to learn to read fluently. Reading is intrinsically the goal of learning to read. Knowing whats on a page and what it means is what a child needs to be 'rewarded' by. Not outside rewards and game's that will be immediately taken away once the child learns to read.

Not the best but has some good stuff.