SilverPen

SilverPen

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)

Graceling - Kristin Cashore I didn't realize til recently that this was her first book. I remember enjoying it, for the most part. Unfortunately I'm writing this review some time after I read it so it might not be as accurate as if I read it yesterday. The story was a bit dark. The main character wants to kill her father, which after you get to know him is perfectly justified. And there are a lot of other things which are not as happy as they could be. Still I remember the book as leaving me feeling better rather than depressed or disturbed after it. Which for me is critical. I read to get away from the world as well as gain some perspective on it so when a book leaves me feeling angry and sad I feel as if I've had valuable life stolen from me. I know a lot of people don't feel this way. They find that books about dark subjects and cruel people make them gain happy perspectives on the world that they do inhabit. Theoretically this makes sense to me but emotionally I don't feel that way. I also loved the world, it was described in such a way that I could see it in my mind and felt full of possibilities. I'm glad I read it.